How to build buzz for your new food product in Canada?
As a company that specializes in product launches, we often get calls from marketing managers and entrepreneurs who are looking for help with the launch of their amazing “new” product. With more than 20,000 new food and beverage products launching each year, here are 5 questions you need to think about to ensure that your new product will break through and create awareness and generate trial.
- Can you clearly define your product’s benefits and how it is different from other competitors that are already in the market place? If you don’t have a clear functional point of difference that we can leverage, consider an emotional one – your brand story, purpose and reason to be.
- Do you have a clearly defined target audience? It’s important to try to narrow your focus and think about the key characteristics of your primary target consumer’s lifestage, rather than going after a wide audience of consumers. Nowadays, consumers want to believe that products are customized just for them.
- Do you have an interesting story about your product? Was it originally created in your own kitchen, does it contain Canadian ingredients, or does it save the consumer prep time?
- Does your product fulfill a need and does it fit in with current trends? For example, is it plant-based or contains no added sugar or is it high in protein or fibre? Something that many consumers are looking for today.
- Do you have any retail distribution for your product? If not, it may be premature to invest in a big launch strategy. However, if you have an e-commerce platform that has been generating strong sales, there are definitely ways to create additional awareness and inspire new consumers to purchase your product.
If you’ve answered “yes” to these questions – you are off to a great start! The only thing you need now is a partner like Harbinger to help make you food product launch successful!
Harbinger is a Toronto-based North American marketing agency with expertise in product launches. We help brands get noticed and purchased.
Many of our clients come to us for an immediate need, but most keep holding-on for years and beyond!
Let’s connect and see how we can help you too!
SVP, Managing Director